Switzerland is home to numerous international universities, research centres and academic institutions, and we are regularly updating details in this area.
For our current information on these institutions, and what their areas of expertise encompass, please click on the links below.
ECAL - École cantonale d'art de Lausanne
Enjoying international renown and featuring regularly among the world’s top ten universities of art and design, ECAL is directed by Alexis Georgacopoulos. The school currently offers six Bachelor programmes (Fine Arts, Cinema, Graphic Design, Industrial Design, Media & Interaction Design, Photography), five Master programmes (Fine Arts, Film, Photography, Product Design, Type Design) and two Master of Advanced Studies (MAS) in Design for Luxury & Craftsmanship and in Design Research for Digital Innovation (with EPFL+ECAL Lab). ECAL also offers a one-year Foundation Course to prepare students for entrance to the different Bachelor’s programmes.
ECAL has grown consistently in terms of student numbers (583 at the beginning of the 2015–2016 academic year) and above all its presence on the international scene. Its influence in Europe and throughout the world is reflected by numerous press articles, regular mentions in specialist and large-circulation publications, and an enviable number of exhibitions in prestigious venues.
Over the years the ECAL has significantly increased the number of its collaborative projects with universities of art and design around the world and with leading firms active in a wide range of sectors like Alessi, Azzedine Alaïa, Baccarat, BCV, BMW Group, Camper, Cassina, Christofle, e15, Hansgrohe Axor, Hermès, Luceplan, Nestlé, Nespresso, Petit h, Punkt., Swiss International Air Lines, USM, Vacheron Constantin, Victorinox, Vitra…
Examples of projects in the sport areas are numerous, e.g.:
- For Zai Ski: creation of highly functional objects such as snow shoes or tools while using, if possible, leftovers from the production of skis with finest materials like carbon fiber.
- For Olympic Museum and IOC: creation of a collection of souvenirs which reflect the Olympic spirit in a contemporary, fun way (Olympic Museum), and also a series of movies (IOC).
- For Vaudoise Assurances: photographic and editorial project about competitive cycling for the Tour de Romandie and Tour de Suisse, exploring the forms of convergence between creative photography, sports sponsorship and the world of publishing.
- For Mover Sportswear and The Woolmark Company: revisiting the natural fiber of wool in the framework of the Design Miami/Basel exhibit.
- For Scott: a series of city bicycles.
- Series of accessories for bicycles presented during the Milan International Furniture Fair 2013
- Various diploma projects in industrial and product design such as shoes, ice axe, boats, rugby and cycling helmets, ping-pong rackets, snorkeling flippers, sport tools for wheelchair users.